Huntington Beach Wetlands Hike
November 23 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Join The Sierra Club and Orange County Coastkeeper on a 3-mile, approximately 3-hour tour of this seldom explored area of southeast Huntington Beach. Ray Hiemstra, Associate Director of Orange County Coastkeeper will guide this easy paced tour that includes the Huntington Beach Wetlands, Huntington State Beach Least Tern nesting site and the Banning Ranch property.
These sites are home to numerous species of birds and fish and are a critical resource along the Orange County Coast. Along the way, Ray and guest naturalists will describe how and why these areas came to be, the wildlife that live there and the looming development projects that threaten them.
Issues to be discussed:
- ASCON Toxic Waste Dump
- Poseidon Huntington Beach Desalination Plant/Coastal Commission hearing
- AES Powerplant Retooling
- Huntington Beach Wetlands
- Least Tern nesting sites
This amazingly beautiful and diverse ecological area is rarely visited so don’t miss this opportunity to explore it.
- Bring water and wear sneakers.
- Free street parking is available on Magnolia Street and adjacent streets.
- Meet at 9:00 am at the corner of Magnolia Street and Banning Street in Huntington Beach.