Meet Nina Waszak: Director of Coachella Valley Waterkeeper
Nina will lead the newly founded Coachella Valley Waterkeeper beginning in June. She holds a degree in environmental studies and ecology and served as a sustainable agriculture agent for the Peace Corps. Nina is also an avid hiker and camper, which fuels her drive for protecting natural spaces. Stay up to date on Nina and the Coachella Valley Waterkeeper by signing up for the Coachella Valley Waterkeeper email newsletter.
Coastkeeper in the News
Check out what 1,350 kids have to say about the environment in this stunning aerial photo!
This month, Coastkeeper shared several stories around Orange County with the help of journalists from the Orange County Register, Spectrum News and more. Here are some of the highlights:
- This year’s Kids Ocean Day attracted the attention of reporters from The Hill, FOX 11, the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register
- Executive Director Garry Brown shares his thoughts on reusing wastewater with the Los Angeles Times
- Marine Restoration Director Katie Nichols invited Spectrum News to join her survey of an oyster restoration project in Upper Newport Bay
- Garry chats with Laylan Connelly of the Orange County Register to review the past 20 years of Coastkeeper (and what’s next)
- Coastkeeper leads the conversation in proposed regulation of copper paints with this Los Angeles Times story
Two Drought-Tolerant Yards Stand Out
With guidance from our SmartScape team, a homeowner from Buena Park and Orange renovated their yards into water-wise paradises. In one case, a homeowner found his water bill reduced by 75% since he switched. Read their stories on our blog.